The Berlin definition of ARDS in 2012 is recently updated in American Thoracic Society (ATS) meeting in may 2023 by 32 experts. The new definition of ARDS is now expanded to patients not on mechanical ventilation.
So the new definition :
- Intubation is no longer a requirement.
- High flow nasal oxygen (HFNO) more than or equal to 30L/min or NIV/CPAP more than or equal to 5 cmH2O end expiratory pressure.
- Hypoxemia level of PaO2/FiO2 less than or equal to 300 mmhg or SpO2/FiO2 less than or equal to 315 mmhg with SpO2 less than or equal to 97%.
- Bilateral chest opacities can be confirmed by chest x-ray, CT Scan or USG (Ultrasonography) by a well-trained operator.
- In resource limited situation PEEP, Oxygen flow or specific respiratory support devices are not required.
For more information: